Conference guide > Formalities requested to enter the french territory

Formalities requested to enter the french territory

Exempt from visa requirement for France’s territory in Europe are : 

  • citizens of the EU, the EEA an Switzerland;
  • nationals of the following countries, whatever the reason for their stay: Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, East Timor, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, Montenegro*, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Serbia*, Seychelles, Taiwan (passport bearing identity card number), Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, and Vanuatu;
    *bearers of biometric passports only
  • nationals of the following countries: Australia, Brazil, United States, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Venezuela. If you are gainfully employed, the exemption only applies if you can produce a work permit;
  • bearers of passports of the Hong Kong special administrative region (People’s Republic of China) and the Macau special administrative region (People’s Republic of China);
  • holders of a valid residence permit for France ;
  • holders of a residence permit issued by a state applying the Schengen Agreements ;
  • holders of a valid long-stay “D” visa issued by France or another Schengen State;
  • holders of certain travel documents issued by a Member State of the European Union (EU family member’s residence card or EU long term residence permit);
  • holders of “British National (Overseas)”, “British Overseas Territories Citizen”, “British Protected Person” and “British Subject” passports;
  • holders of a special card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to staff of a diplomatic mission and consular.

Visa Exemption Countries List available on the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site : France Diplomatie


If their country does not appear on the Visa Exemption Countries’ List, people need a short term visa. They need to contact the French Consulate in their country. They will get a uniform visa available for all Schengen Area.  


Online user: 1